Wednesday, September 14, 2005

What Country Did I Just Wake Up In?

So after many months and years of resisting the Blog bandwagon, I've finally been convinced by my good friend Elizabeth in B.C., who incidentally, I've never met. Yet. Nonetheless, I could go on to give you a really controversial blog entry, but just the standard "What side of the Earth did I fall off?" catch-up blog entry will have to do. Your name might be in it!

  • Got a degree at the University of Waterloo
  • Met some people, played some music, got really really scary good at original NES Tetris with Donny
  • Got a job at GM, did lots of travelling on the company tab (Japan, Europe and U.S.A mostly), and now have over 20 stamps on my passport (yes I'm still a citizen in my home country for those who have questioned my allegiance to Canada)
  • Told some jokes, got paid some more, two ski trips to Vermont
  • Started being in Ann Arbor, Michigan a lot somewhere along the line (its a lot like Toronto!), John and Marika visited me here, too.

Over the course of the last couple of years, I'd have to say I've definitely furthered my goals. If you don't have goals, get some - they're highly underrated! Here's a smattering of things I have done, in the field of accomplishing goals and doing significant things in life, which I'm a big fan of:

  • Increased my nationage ratio to 15/26 or roughly 58 percent thanks to Italy this year! This is calculated by dividing the number of countries you've visited in the world by your age. My goal is to reach 100 percent at some point in my life, so it gets harder every year you wait. I need to tour Africa I think.
  • Learned to speak German. Actually I can do pretty well conversationally, if you don't believe in grammar. Probierst mich! Jen, you will not believe it until you hear it (and welcome back)!
  • Learned to swing dance. I've been doing that at the University of Michigan for several months, on and off, when I'm not overseas. I'm getting pretty good. And its a great place for women to meet me. If they're lucky I call them back.
  • Was the best man at John's wedding. Being a best man is a tough responsibility, but also its very rewarding, and it was a significant experience in my life, and truly an honour. I get to be best man again soon at Alan's wedding, and if there's one thing I learned, its to just do it from the heart and everything will go well (no, not my brother Alan, who wrote this hilarious article)
  • Got my masters degree! Actually, I didn't but I feel like I did. I assisted Pearl with programming expertise for her mounds of statistical data in respiratory rehabilition trials at the University of Toronto. I am now officially a VBA tutor, sort of.
  • Joined a jazz quartet in Michigan that didn't have a pianist. This was the most rewarding musical development in Jazz I've ever had. Too bad our quartet just broke up last month when we lost our drummer... so much for the CD (I do have mp3s though). Well, we might have a reunion recording session I hope. It was awesome playing anyway. If you play jazz, get the Real Book -- its quality!

So, I've been pretty busy... and from the whole travelling-for-2-years-straight-with-no-vacation thing, I'm pretty tired, so I'm going to sleep! Why not give the comment function a whirl, and make my blogging experience that much more enjoyable!

Daniel [Life_]

20 comments:

Unknown said...

Daniel! Welcome! And at two in the morning no less! A fine entry into blogging.

Glad to hear you're doing well, and hope that the excitement is backed up by cool life things.

sudie!
Jared

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel, think you'll have any time to update this thing between marathon Tetris sessions and globetrotting?

I'm sure you'll fit it in somehow :)

-Adam F

Anonymous said...

I frikin' LOVE blogs--- not that I have one yet. sigh--- too bad the trio broke up Dan but-- now you're all MINE!

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the world of blogs! Glad we can actually talk to you (with a little delay) here! Just remember to blog a lot and often!

Alan

Anonymous said...

Daniel! How's your nihongo? Well, I also weakened and got a blog. But it's not in English. ;-)
Check it out for all you kanji readers out there!
http://blog.livedoor.jp/andoryuu/

Anonymous said...

Din Din,

This is your sister. I guess getting updates in blog form is better than having no idea what you are doing! Anyway, glad to hear all is well..but what's this nonsense about meeting women? Hahaha, just kidding. Everyone expects me to say that and I'm such a Good Goan Girl that I always do what's exepected of me...NOT! I'll look forward to watching you swing dance at the next family wedding...

Now, not to sound like mom but:
1) Please make sure you are getting your rest and eating properly (this includes veggies).
2) Go to church. Shower first.
3) Do your P.Eng (bwahahaha- I had to say it)
4) Stop pressing the snooze button a million times
5) Visit your sister. Take her expensive gifts. Compliment her.

Now, this might seem long, but you should be happy I've resisted the urge to discuss your most embarassing moments...muhahahaha

Seriously, hope to see you soon. I miss you!

Love, Lisa

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel,
Well, well, well so you are still around sees like you have been a little busy it was good to read about what you have been up to. We never did go roller blading, I’m in Chicago teaching so maybe when you are around this area we can do it. :P Nice reading you.

~Eugenia Flores

Anonymous said...

Hello Daniel,

This is quite some set up you've got here. Carter didn't want me so I had to go to the ghetto of Malvern. Nice to see that we'll be able to keep tabs on you.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Vanessa

Anonymous said...

You know, saying things like "travelling-for-2-years-straight-with-no-vacation" might make others feel bitter and do nasty things to you. Good to hear from you. Here's my blog:
http://www.vandrunen.ca/anthony/weblog/

Anonymous said...

I knew it would only be a matter of time before my good friend Daniel Fernandes would burst onto the blogging scene. You may have inspired me (I've said this before about starting a blog, though)...

It's always good to see you when we do get together. Your last visit over here was so much fun. Thanks again for introducing the whole concept of relaxing at the one of our fine Great Lakes.

I feel badly about your allergies to the cats. I discussed with the cats the possibilities of housing them in a decontamination chamber anytime you come. Unfortunately, Melanie had to intervene - something about animal rights. I tried.

Until next time, all the best,

John

Daniel said...

Wow! I made it to the double-digit mark in comments! Good to hear from all you people. As I wade through emails, I'll be blogging more...

Thanks for the blog-links.... I'll update my list.

Patrick said...

Daniel,

You're now linked from my site.

Holy crap is that really what JD looked like in HS?

Cheers,

P

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel

Linked from my weblog as well.
Hope things are going well on your end.

-Kirk

Anonymous said...

Heya, Daniel.

Thanks for the update--and the WYoP link! Glad to hear you're doing so well.

Also, I am under orders to second the 'bring your sister expensive gifts' motion.

All the best,

-Steve

Anonymous said...

Pat... no no, that's not JD! Is just some pic I found on the internet, no idea where its from, but I just couldn't resist!

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel,

If you're ever in the Netherlands, look me up and we'll chill (that goes for others who know who I am).

Wiersma

-no blog .......... yet

Anonymous said...

Hi Daniel,
Your are too much! I've never heard of blogging before; leave it to you to find something so cool.

Great to hear about all your adventures.

I look forward to your visit in October and the new song you'll bring with you.

Ciao for now,
Joanne

Anonymous said...

Well well, I always thought you should have a journal about. The Adventure of Daniel: Around the World in 24 hours. In fact i might write a story now that i think of it based on your crazy-go-nuts lifestyle. Alas your probably gonna be stuck in [Winbore..Error] *Winsor(Spelled checked by spell-o-matic-o-mazing, Version 1.b5!.

Anyways i might start a journal else where because my old one is getting boring...one i offload the hundreds of posts i've made.

Brother Alan

Anonymous said...

Swing dance - can you teach me?



yeah, its the parental unit

Daniel said...

Sure mom...