Thursday, September 29, 2005

The Art Of Not Writing Songs

Over near my sofa, lies my guitar (not Jen's guitar). It's still in the case, because I hardly have time to play anymore. But I've been writing songs for years! Basically I would write a song or a snippet of a song, then forget it , then try to remember a little bit later on. This was frustrating because I would often lose some great music that I had written. (I once wrote the song "Billie Jean", but clearly Michael Jackson stole it, like he clearly stole some other songs.)

But then one day I had some writing utensils (not like
these that you can eat with), and jotted some notes down. Months later, I actually remembered it from my written chords and lyrics. Normally my bouts of inspiration are random, so whether a song gets remembered is based on whether I can write it down and whether I am feeling lazy. I've got about 4.2 songs written towards my eventual album (one of my goals). Of course Jackson will just steal it anyway. So I always try to have pen and paper on hand... I eventually also figured out I should keep these inside the guitar case!

Earlier in my life, when I was a music student in
high school, I thought that writing music that people liked was 90% the music and 5% the lyrics and 5% the person listening to it. Those numbers have constantly been changing, but now I feel its more like 25% style, 40% honesty, 20% confidence and 12% subtlety. (Numbers do not add to 100% due to rounding!). I also think its more important for music to have meaning than for it to be liked by others (okay, I'm about 65% purist and 41% populist).

If you had to put a formula to good music ingredients, what would it be??

Daniel [Music_]

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm- no percentages for me,
I'm not a numbers person, but here we go--- and performance-- music is artist realted. the best performers are good at manipulating the audience IMHO. (which is why we love them)

-25% Performer feels it in his/her gut
-15% The listener feels connected to the music
-15% Style
-25% Actually having talent=not being tone deaf or untalented or just plain bad. (I know-- All those pop tarts have lovely digital tools to make them in tune)
-20% Of what I like to call rockstar appeal (can be sex appeal for Mick Jagger for example) ie: what is it about you that makes your uberfans fight for backstage passes.

OK there it is-- my best shot!

Anonymous said...

56.5% music
28.7% lyrics
12.4 guitar picks
3 tbsp nutmeg
1 fresh egg

Stir vigorously. Cook at 350 for 47 minutes. Add salt to taste.

What?!

-Adam F

Anonymous said...

just mix 1/4 talent,1/4hard work and 50% Daniel...
there you have it - perfect harmony

who else would say something like that except
the parental unit...