Sunday, September 25, 2005

How Long, How Soon, How Blog

Reflecting on my brand new blog, I've wondered about the best length and frequency of blog entries. I realised that it must depend on the goals of the blog and on the subject. So I wrote down the goals of this blog so that I at least eventually figure out why I'm doing it.
  • Historical record of thoughts and events (who will care in 3 years anyway?)
  • Keep friends and family informed (they complain i'm hard to track)
  • Hear people's comments and reactions (if anyone responds!)
  • Feel popular (even if I'm not)
  • Make my life more organised (as though my life isn't organised enough, umm...)
  • Help me accomplish life goals (my list of goals is already too long)
  • Tell people cool things, and generate discussion (that's why I link to stuff)
  • Link to cool things and inspire or inform others (that's why you click the links... click already!)

Why do/would YOU maintain a blog? What is the ideal length of a blog entry? What is a good frequency a blog should be updated at? Some of you out there are really experienced... tell me about what you've learned!

Daniel



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Experienced, I am not... just starting, really, in the grand scheme of things. My friend Pat has been Blogging for YEARS... but I suppose I can have an opinion. I generally try to keep my posts above the break, so that no scrolling has to be done. I try to post when I feel I actually have something to say. The times when I felt I needed to post just because I hadn't posted in a few days... well the posts ended up sounding just like that: space filler. Apparently, I amuse people though. That's always nice to hear. Feedback keeps me alive with drive.

Patrick said...

I'd say when you have stuff to say. Try to avoid it being a blog that discusses 'and then I woke up, and then I ate breakfast, and then I took a shit, and then I walked the dog, and then the dog took a shit, and so on'.

Personal anecdotes are great just make sure they are relatively succinct and interesting. Personal commentary on stuff you've seen, read, heard, is always good, and posting information that you feel will benefit others/others will be interested in is good.

I usually blog on avg about 3 times a week. Sometimes far more, sometimes only 1ce or so.

Cheers,

P

Anonymous said...

Your second goal on the list rocks



From:
Awww its got to be
the parental unit who else!