Friday, January 20, 2006

Reflections On Another Year

To be honest I couldn't remember where I was on my birthday last year until I dug into my records and realised that the reason was probably because I was alone in Germany for work. The night was an uneventful one, spent at a hotel in Coburg. I guess the company bought me dinner though. But its always better to spend a birthday with at least one person that is truly important to you. This time I spent the evening with my friends John and Mel in Dashwood, so it was time well spent. Actually this birthday turned out really good, as I got a wonderful surprise in an email. Anyway, this seems like a good time to be introspective, and to ask how I've bettered myself.

Some good things I've done:
Important lessons I've learned:
  • Don't forget to talk with the people you care about regularly
  • Not deciding something is a decision in itself, and usually its a bad decision
  • Work is important, but not the most important (I only put the second half of this into action recently)
  • Accept your feelings, and don't suppress them
  • Recognise when you've received a gift - It's too easy to fail to see the ones that are not wrapped
  • Don't be afraid of love
  • Confidence will greatly enhance your life

Now, to establish goals for the next year!

Daniel

7 comments:

Patrick said...

I'm not really sure how much more you can do than this. Yeah you've pretty much lived a lifetime in one year and are now ready for death. Congrats you finished the race early.. NO WAIT.

Sounds like you did have a really good year. I'm not sure what My country count is but its going up by 4 over the next month (provided we make it out of colombia).

Cheers,
P

Anonymous said...

Congrats on a well-lived year. I'm proud of everything you are accomplishing, both in your professional and personal life. I hope you got my e-card for your birthday and had fun playing the game - it reminded me of our younger days playing on the ATARI and Commodore 64.

Lots of Love,
Lisa, your sister

Anonymous said...

Good choice on the swing dancing - it's tons of fun, especially when you go more than twice a year :)

So when is your quartet playing Ottawa?

-Adam F

Anonymous said...

this is simple: congrats! :)
ur pizza was fun.

Anonymous said...

It was a pleasure indeed having you over for your birthday, Daniel. Now, to get a gift for the person who seemingly has everything...

How about those goals?? :-0)

John

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! Sorry I missed it - and sounds like you had an amazing year. :)

P.S. I got your card from India - thanks!!

Anonymous said...

Parental unit,
please play the song the wrote whern you com home, whats the name....