Friday, January 13, 2006

There is Nothing to Fear but Fear Itself

I was recently thinking about the struggle between fear and action. Sometimes, I find that when trying to make a decision, I put too much pressure on myself. I can convince myself that something I want to do must be arranged perfectly or else it will fail. But this is simply negative thinking. This is fear controlling me.

It is by doing the thing that we are afraid of that we can conquer our fears and pursue the great things that we wish for ourselves. And if it goes well, we learn much. And if it goes badly, we learn even more. I must constantly remind myself that I do not know exactly where my life will go. And I must remind myself that it is not necessary or good to know. In life, circumstances can change. People can change. Hearts can change. Climate can change. Everything can change at a moment's notice. How can we predict the way things must be or will be? It is almost foolish to try!

Things will never be exactly as I imagine them, so it is useless to pressure myself to choose certainty over uncertainty. Certainty simply does not exist. Life is a path that either you can choose, or your fear can choose for you. We can be our own worst enemies. If we have a chance to do something important, it can be so important to us that we are afraid to even try.

Maybe this stems from a fear of failure or inadequacy. We don't pursue the possibilities of so many greater things, because we create mental roadblocks for ourselves. It is so easy to remain in misery for which we refuse to take responsibility. But it is truly scary to admit that we cause the very fear which makes us unhappy. As Nelson Mandela said: "Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate, but that we are powerful beyond measure." Have no regrets, but never make the same mistake twice. Fear and faith struggle against each other at all times. As humans, we would do well to understand, conquer and learn from our fears so that we can achieve our potential. I'm starting now. Again.

Daniel

4 comments:

Patrick said...

So there's a new woman or women in your life eh....


At any rate I tend to agree with you. The most you can do is steer yourself in the direction you want your life to go and deal with the rest as it comes.

I personally prefer homer's line 'i crave the dizzying highs! the terrifying lows! and the creamy middles!'

Cheers,

P

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, yeah I quoted that very Simpsons quote in my blog a little while back... Classic..

But, yeah, Daniel, you could be writing the story of my life there. We're very much alike, I think, in many ways. Except you play better piano.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Daniel said...

Whoops... deleted that comment, but thanks Natalia!!