Sunday, February 12, 2006

Turning Up The Heat

According to this article, the planet is hotter than its ever been in a long time. And its our fault, say our scientists. It seems they are always attributing the warming effect to all the greenhouse gas emissions. I bet that is most of the answer. But what about the fact that we're just burning a whole bunch of stuff! We're burning more than ever before. We're burning coal, oil and other things faster than the planet normally does. And we're doing it more and faster everyday... does this heat just dissipate? The planet is not a closed thermodynamic system, taking heat in from the sun, and radiating heat into space... but just as what once seemed like a small amount of carbon dioxide is now having an effect on the atmosphere, doesn't this widespread burning contribute at all to thermal (dis)equilibrium? I wonder if anyone has tried calculating the effect of growing combustion on the planet? Typically the burning releases greenhouse gases which makes the planet a better insulator, but what about the heat from burning itself? My instinct tells me its negligible, but we're are burning lots of stuff constantly and permanently. Now excuse me, while I turn up my thermostat... its cold in here.

Daniel

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We want more superhero deathmatch!

-Adam F

Daniel said...

First of all, its called Smitors! Second of all, you're going to have to wait! I've got some good stuff coming up. Why not comment on my oh so interesting global warming post. Honestly I know its a lame post. But do you know how hard it is to follow up a Smitors post!?!?!

Anonymous said...

Like I mentioned in my blog: it all that vegetation producing methane. We must destroy it all!

As far as burning = warming, I totally agree. This is one con for fusion power.