Tuesday, October 11, 2005

The New Daniel-mobile: Brand Spankin' Used

I really loved my dad's old '89 Camry wagon, even though the malfunctioning "auto-off lights" helped me meet many strangers with booster cables. I always appreciated how you could slip the keys right out of the ignition and still continue to drive. That car truly was fun, and I even got 9L/100km (thats like 26 MPG, you Americans)!

But, all the same, I think I'm much happier with my 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GT2. Sure, its the first big thing I ever bought (and incidentally, the first big thing I ever bought that I still have to pay off eventually), but I'm anticipating keeping it for a long time. My dad actually found it in Oakville for me (Stan's home town).

I didn't enjoy the whole car buying experience. Pretty much its people trying to convince you to give them your money, which is annoying because you don't really know how much to trust what they say. In the end, you ignore what they say, and see what they can prove. I did buy the car, though, so it means I was either satisfied or getting tired. Thanks to GM Optimum, I could actually exchange it within 30 days. But that'll never happen, because I'm enjoying it more every day. I'll name it soon.

Suggest a name, and let me know what you think, and maybe I'll let you ride in it... but wipe your feet first, I'm getting obsessive already.

Daniel

5 comments:

Patrick said...

Nice. Liz and I picked up a new cobalt in June.

Anonymous said...

hum....how about the "FernsD" mobile


parental unit again

Anonymous said...

You should call it the "Pocket Rocket". No wait - how about the "23 Skidoo"? Or the "Tetrismobile"? And there's always the understated "Car".

-Adam F

Anonymous said...

Herzlichen Glückwunsch zum neuen Auto und allzeit gute Fahrt ;-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how it can be so much fun naming a car...

Based on my experience to date, however, I've found that the car must develop a personality before a name really fits...

For example, my wife's first car, named "Frank," did not like to start, it stalled at stop signs, it has no heater, the gas gauge didn't work, etc. It became a "Frank" (my apologies to anyone named Frank - it's not the name, it was the car...) What?!?! :-0)

When we got our new 03' Volkswagen Jetta, we thought it should have a name. So we named it "Helga." But our Jetta has just been too damn good of a car. We haven't had to yell at it ("Helga, you crazy hunk of junk, you, start why don't you??). So, the name hasn't stuck.

The question for Daniel: Does the new car need to develop a personality before the name will stick?

-John Drummond